Funding Info. & Application
Below you will find everything you need in order to apply for a grant from the Kinsmen Foundation, Saskatchewan's Charity!
Please review this page.
It contains information and resources to help make your application process a little easier.
The button to open the application is located at the bottom of this page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kinsmen Foundation Inc. is a registered charity in Saskatchewan. As a “funder of last resort”, it provides financial assistance to Saskatchewan residents with a valid Saskatchewan Health card (or Alberta Health card, for Lloydminster residents only) to cover the cost of special needs equipment, to improve quality of life and independence; as well as travel assistance (transportation, meals, and accommodations expenses) to access life-saving medical treatment outside of ones community.
All funds used for Kinsmen Foundation grants come from donations made through TeleMiracle (the annual telethon).
The Kinsmen Foundation is not government funded.
The Kinsmen Foundation is a funder of last resort. Which means, if you are able to self-fund, crowd-fund, or have other avenues of resources, please utilize those first, before applying to us. Otherwise, all individuals with a valid Saskatchewan Health card are eligible to apply. Exception: Residents from the Alberta side of Lloydminster can apply for funding with their Alberta Health card.
Regardless of age, anyone that holds a valid Saskatchewan Health card is eligible to apply (or an Alberta health card if a resident of the Alberta side of Lloydminster).
To our knowledge, Saskatchewan is unique in that we are the only province in Canada that holds such a telethon like TeleMiracle. All funds raised at TeleMiracle are used to help Saskatchewan residents only. With one exception, the border city of Lloydminster, all residents of Lloydminster are welcome to apply.
The Kinsmen Foundation considers applications from Saskatchewan residents (including all Lloydminster residents) to access medical treatment outside their community, including out of province or out of country, provided all treatment is covered by Saskatchewan Health.
The Kinsmen Foundation considers application from individuals for special needs equipment and/or travel assistance (transportation, meals, and accommodations) to access medical treatment outside of their home community; group homes for special needs equipment; as well as, institutions and health foundations to purchase specialized, new or innovative equipment to improve health care.
The Kinsmen Foundation Board of Directors holds nine meetings per year (No meetings in March, July or August). Decisions are made during these Board meetings and applicants are notified shortly after by a phone call, email, and/or a letter.
The Kinsmen Foundation does have an emergency process for medical travel funding only. In the event the medical appointment is prior to our next Board meeting, we can process the application as an emergency. The typical response time, upon receipt of ALL the required information, is within two business days.
The two most common reasons for applications not being approved by the Board are 1) What’s being requested in the application does not fit in our mandate (ie reimbursement for utility bills, medications and other consumables, etc.) 2) We are not the funder of last resort (a.k.a. other funds are available elsewhere.).
If you or your loved one received funding for the purchase of a piece of equipment and that equipment, for whatever reason, is no longer needed. If it’s still clean, functioning, and not too much wear and tear, you can donate it to someone else.
Some ideas of places to possibly donate it to are care homes, hospitals, another individual who needs it, etc.
Please DO NOT send it back to the office. We have no room to store it and we will not pass it along to another applicant.
Things to know before you start the application.
- The application itself is fairly lengthy. You can expect to spend around 20-30 minutes filling it out. Take your time and make sure to read it thoroughly.
- You can save your form and come back to it, if you can’t do it all at once.
- When you’ve completed the application please click on “Review and Submit”, look over the form to double check that everything is correct, and then CLICK ON SUBMIT. Until you click on that second submit, it stays in saved mode and is not received by our office.
- The form can be filled out on a computer or mobile device (phone or tablet). However, we recommend using a computer as the form doesn’t work as well on a mobile device.
- You can save some time by getting all the required documents ready before starting the application. (Use the checklist below.)
- Prior to each Board meeting (9 meetings per year), there is deadline date for the office to receive complete applications. If you miss a deadline, your application will be pushed to the following Board meeting. The application deadline dates are listed below.
- ALL applications end up in our grant management computer system. If you cannot fill out the online form yourself, you can ask someone to fill it out for you (friend, family member, your OT, etc.). As a LAST RESORT you can fax, email or mail a paper copy to the office and our staff will enter it into the system for you. Contact Geneen to get a paper application sent to you (see CONTACT US page).
- The online application form can be accessed by clicking on the blue button at the bottom of this page. You will be required to login or create an account.
- If you have an email that ends with sasktel.net you will not be able to use our online application. You can either use a different email or contact Geneen to have an application emailed, faxed, or mailed to you.
Incomplete applications will not be considered; therefore, we recommend you use this checklist to ensure that you have submitted all required documents for you application to be presented to the Board.
Application Submission Deadlines 2022-2023
- August 24, 2022
- September 28, 2022
- November 2, 2022
- November 30, 2022
- January 11, 2023
- February 15, 2023
- March 15, 2023
- April 26, 2023
- June 7, 2023
No board meeting in March, July, and August.